Electrophysiology and Fish Behavior
by K P Biswas
Imprint : Daya Publishing House
Year : 2021
Price : Rs. 8495.00
Biblio : xx+215 p., figs., tabls., ind., 25 cm
Dr. K.P. Biswas, M.Sc., Ph.D., D.F.Sc. (Bombay), E.F. (West Germany), F.Z.S., F.A.B.S. (Kolkata), Former Joint Director Fisheries (LI), Government of Orissa, Director Fisheries, A&N Islands, Government of India, Principal, Fisheries Training Institute, Fishery Technologist (ICAR), and at present Faculty Member of Marine Science Department, University of Calcutta and West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences.
The author operated 28 wooden fishing trawlers (32 - 48 feet LOA) from Paradeep Orissa during 1968-69 and four 57 feet steel polish trawlers during 1971-72 in Odisha coast of Bay of Bengal and is conversent with trawl fishery in Indian coast.
About The Book
The book, Electrophysiology and Fish Behavior embraces 19 chapters having two main parts, namely, electrophysiology and fish behavior. In the first part, the history and behavior of electric fishes were traced out together with the application of electricity for catching fishes. The response of fishes in an electric field and the physiological mechanisms and electrical principles involved in it were correlated thereafter. The empirical studies on the reactions of cold water fishes, warm water Indian and marine fishes and the hybrids in different forms of electrical field (DC, AC, Pulsed DC, Rectangular and Square wave form) by various investigators have been described in details along with the physical, chemical, biological and environmental factors responsible for the intensity of such reactions.
The effect of electrical stimulation on the heart beat and body muscle of fish were determined and recorded in the book together with the harmful effect of electric exposure on fertilized and developing eggs, hatchlings, juveniles, older fishes and the man who handles the electric current during investigation and research in the laboratory and field.
In the second part of the book, role of olfaction in fish behavior, especially for feeding, stimuli associated with danger, reproductive cues and social interaction been highlighted. Fish behavior in aquarium (in captivity) and in the wild describing their adaptation in different ecosystems were documented in the relevant chapters of the book. Diversity of fishes in different ecosystems and their cooperative behavior with special stress on learning and memory were given in the book. In the last chapter, examples were putforth for applied fish behaviors. The book will be useful for the students, teachers and researchers working on this line.
Table of Contents
1. The History of Electric Fishing 1
2. Electrical Parameters 15.
3. Electronic Devices 33
4. Fishes in Electrical Field 45
5. Empirical Studies on Cold Water Fishes in DC and
Pulsed DC Field 63
6. Studies on Warm Water Fishes in DC and Pulsed DC Field 71.
7. Studies on Warm Water Fishes in AC Field (Freshwater Fishes) 79
8. Comparative Effects of DC, AC and Pulsed DC on Fishes 93
9. Electric Stimulation on Heart Beat and Fish Body Muscle 103
10. Factors Affecting the Reaction of Fish in Electric Field 109
11. Harmful Effects of Electrical Exposure 119
12. Effect of DC and AC Shocks on the Carp Hatchlings and
Young Adult 139
13. Choice of Current Type 153
14. Reactions and Behaviors of Fish in Heterogeneous Field 157
15. Role of Olfaction in Fish Behavior 163
16. Fish Behavior in the Aquarium and in Wild 171
17. Diversity and Adaptation in Fish Behavior 183
18. Cooperative Behavior in Fishes: Group Living and
Social Network 187
19. Applied Fish Behavior 193