Developments in Medicinal Mushroom Biology and Therapeutic Properties
by Janardhanan, K.K. & T.A. Ajith
Imprint : Daya Publishing House
Year : 2021
Price : Rs. 7995.00
Biblio : xvii+207p.,figs.,col.,tabls., 25 cm
Prof. (Dr.) K.K.Janardhanan, Ph.D, FNSE, FNABS, Graduated from University of Kerala, India. Obtained Master’s and Ph.D degrees from University of Rajasthan Jaipur, India. He worked as a Post-Doctorate Fellow in the Department of Biogenesis, Institute of Microbiology, Prague, as Fellow of Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences. He was Deputy Director, Central Institute of Medicinal & Aromatic Plants (CSIR, Government of India), Lucknow, before joining Amala Cancer Research Centre, Thrissur. Currently, he is Professor, Department of Microbiology, Amala Cancer Research Centre, Thrissur, India. He has been working on the medicinal mushrooms occurring in India for the last 15 years for the development of therapeutically useful products for the treatment of human diseases. He carries with him over 40 years of R & D experience. His main areas of interest are medicinal plants, medicinal mushrooms and mycomedicine. He has published over 200 research papers in peer reviewed National and International Journals and 4 books. He is a Fellow of National Academy of Biological Sciences and Fellow of National Society of Ethnopharmacology. He was the President of Mycological Society of India and is currently the Vice-President of National Society of Ethnopharmacology. He is a recipient of Dr. Agnihothrudu Memorial Endowment Oration Award for his outstanding contributions on medicinal mushrooms. He was recently conferred the Bharath Jyoti Award by India International Friendship Society, New Delhi, for his Meritorious Services.
Prof. (Dr) T.A. Ajith, Ph.D, Received Master of Science in Medical Biochemistry with first rank from Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, Karnataka, India and Ph. D in Medical Biochemistry from University of Calicut, Kerala, India. He is a Professor in Biochemistry at Amala Institute of Medical Sciences, since July 2012. He has authored 57 original research papers in peerreviewed National and International journals with 875 citations and 6 chapters in text books. His research is primarily focused on the role of compounds on the mitochondrial energy status. Dr. T. A. Ajith serves as Editorial Board member for 12 National and International journals and reviewer for many journals. He is an active Lab Assessor for NABH, Quality Council of India (QCI) and co-principal investigator of several research projects.
About The Book
Medicinal mushrooms have a long history of use in traditional ancient therapies and contemporary research has validated much of ancient knowledge. The recent research achievements in medicinal mushrooms during the last two decades have given confidence that medicinal mushrooms can contribute greatly to st healthcare of humans in 21 century. Clinical practice now in Japan, China, Korea, Russia and several South eastern countries and more recently in USA have recognized the beneficial effects of mushroom derived preparations and their use in therapy. Market for mushroom nutraceuticals in USA is about $ 15 billion today and the market is growing fast worldwide. Developments in Medicinal Mushroom Biology and Therapeutic Properties addresses the relevance and use of medicinal mushrooms in healthcare. The current book is a compilation of articles written by eminent researchers actively working on ethnomycology, biodiversity and conservation, cultivation, chemistry, pharmacology, practical application, toxicity and therapeutic uses of medicinal mushrooms. Broad range of health concern and the failure of modern medicine to treat several disease conditions makes it an essential reading for students, teachers, clinicians and researchers in health profession as well as biologists, microbiologists and others in biomedical research. The book will be immensely useful to pharmaceutical industries interested in the development of natural product based medicines, dietary supplements, nutraceuticals and drugs.
Table of Contents
List of Contributors
1. My years of experience in practical application of medicinal mushrooms
2. Mushrooms as food, dietary supplements and medicine - Present statusand future needs
3. Reishi - Ganoderma lucidum : King of Herbs- A medical wonder
4. Medicinal and chemical aspects of some wild mushrooms occurring in Kashmir-India
5. Chinese caterpillar mushroom Cordyceps sinensis : history, biology, collection, culture and medicinal use for cure of human diseases
6. Ethnomycology and Ethnopharmacology of some edible and medicinalmushrooms
7. Ganoderma lucidum - A potential medicinal mushroom: It’s cultivationand commercial production
8. Medicinal mushrooms- scope for cultivation in Kerala
9. Biodiversity of tropical Basidiomycetes from Konkan region and their biological properties
10. Recent developments in the prospect of mushrooms asnephroprotective agents : A review
11. Infuence of substrate and supplementation on mycelia growth and yield of Lentinus edodes
12. Ganoderma lucidum terpenes- New scope in cancer therapy
13. Cultivation of edible and medicinal mushrooms in Kerala
14. Ganoderma lucidum (Fr.) P. Karst: A promising target to amelioratemitochondrial dysfunction in Alzheimer’s disease?
15. Diversity and conservation of medicinal mushrooms of India
16. Evaluation of the safety of proprietary products of Ganoderma lucidum(Fr.) P.Karst : A preclinical study
17. Antineoplastic properties of polysaccharides from Phellinus species with special emphasis to Phellinus rimosus (Berk) Pilat
18. South Indian medicinal mushrooms - a potential source for anticancer drugs
19. Medicinal mushrooms as a source of immunomodulatory compounds